Action for Public Transport (N.S.W.)
We apologise for any dead links.
Kindred organisations and journals, especially around Sydney
- Eco-Transit Sydney, Post Office Box 630, Milson's Point 1565.
- Fix NSW Transport, social media based group.
- Sydney Light Rail Action Group - concerns about tree loss and failure to address congestion.
- Western Sydney Public Transport Users.
- Greater Western Sydney Transport Alliance (comprising Western Sydney Regional Organisation of Councils (WSROC), the Macarthur Regional Organisation of Councils (MACROC), the University of Western Sydney (UWS), the Western Sydney Community Forum and the Western Sydney Public Transport Users Association) email
- Southern Highlands Rail Users Group (SHRUG).
- Southern Tablelands Rail Users Group (STRUG).
- Orange Rail Action Group
- Community Action for Sustainable Transport operating around Brisbane.
- RAIL Back On Track is a web-based community group that advocates for sustainable transport solutions mainly rail and advocates strongly for rail commuters, and at times other public transport commuters, especially in Queensland.
- Open the Road, pressing for opening of a road connecting Woronora Heights with Woronora, which would permit greatly improved bus services west and south of Sutherland.
- Save Our Sydney Ferries, set up by Maritime Union of Australia.
- Rate My Trip, a forum for passengers set up by Sushilogic Systems.
- Institute for Sensible Transport, reducing vulnerability to contemporary transport changes.
- Save Our Rail NSW Inc., pressing for restoration and improvement of the railway between Wickham and Newcastle.
- Link-Up, 5th floor, 362 Kent Street, Sydney.
- NoW Public Transport, where NoW means No Westconnex.
- Campaign Against Polluting Stacks, with particular reference to the Northconnex tunnel exhausts.
- NSW Wide Public Transport Advocacy - contact Paul Nolan of Willoughby.
- Border Rail Action Group, northern Victoria.
- STEP Inc. (formerly South Turramurra Environment Protection), which opposes the proposed F3-M2 road link.
- REDwatch, a community group which covers the Sydney suburbs of Redfern Eveleigh Darlington and Waterloo. Very interested in Redfern railway station.
- Total Environment Centre, 2nd floor, 362 Kent Street, Sydney.
- The Better Planning Network
- The Rail Now campaign for the
- Get-Up's transport campaign,
one of many under their Fix Australia banner.
- Victoria Transport Policy Institute -
Todd Litman's base in British Columbia
- Friends of the Northern Railway, who are yet again fighting to save railway services to Armidale.
- Save the Great Northern Rail Line, who don't want the rails between Armidale and Wallangarra dug up for a rail trail.
- Two more trains for Singleton (see
http://www.singletonargus.com.au/news/local/news/general/petition-to-push-for-passenger-trains/1235438.aspx) - phone 6571-1208 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or Facebook.
- Rail Action Bathurst, who want improved passenger services.
- Trains on Our Tracks - "TOOT",
who are campaigning for a new rail service between Casino and the Gold Coast via Murwillumbah. This would involve new track from Varsity Lakes to Coolangatta (Qld) and on to Murwillumbah (NSW) plus restoring the track between Murwillumbah and Casino.
They would also like the XPT service reinstated.
Formerly related: http://www.tweedrail.org.au/.
Also see Northern Rivers Railway Action Group NRRAG.
- Railway Technical Society
- Tourism and Transport Forum, the peak
industry group for the tourism, transport and infrastructure sectors.
intended to encourage young Victorians to use public transport.
- Smog Busters
- Sydenham to Bankstown Alliance, fighting privatisation of train services with massive overdevelopment on the Bankstown rail line
- The peripatetic
Nick Possum of Werrong Investigations, who has a particular proficiency
in probing the corruption that pervades transport infrastructure
- Urban Environment Coalition
Public Transport Users' Association, Melbourne.
Their site has an interesting section dedicated to refuting myths and misconceptions in public transport.
- IMPACT - Independent Melbourne Partners Against Congested Transport.
- Public Transport for Me Too, Melbourne
- Yarra Campaign for Action on Transport (YCAT)
- Sustainable Transport Coalition of Western Australia
- People for Public Transport (S.A.) Inc.
- Public Transport Association of Canberra, Canberra's peak public transport lobby group
- Transit Australia magazine.
- Australasian Railway Association.
- Australian Railway Digest, which sometimes publishes articles about metropolitan transport.
- Light Rail Now (U.S.A.)
- Surface Transportation Policy Project (U.S.A.)
- National Association of Railroad Passengers (U.S.A.)
- NYPIRG's Straphangers' Campaign
- American Public Transit Association
- Passenger Focus - UK rail passenger watchdog.
- Campaign for Better Transport (U.K.).
- European Passengers' Federation
- Pro-Bahn - public transport passengers in Germany
- Friends of the Earth, London
SUSTRAN Sustainable Transport Action Network for Asia and the Pacific.
- Transport 2000, London.
Also see http://www.sardineman.org.uk/, campaigning for better train journeys.
- Transport 2000 Canada, Ottawa.
- The Center for Transportation Excellence,
a non-partisan policy research center created to serve the needs of communities and transportation organizations nationwide. The purpose of the center and its website is to provide research materials, strategies and other forms of support on the benefits of public transportation.
- Transit Users' Group, Vancouver.
- Rocket Riders transit advocacy Toronto
Association of Transit Consumers, Inc., Fort Lauderdale, Florida, USA
- Citizens for Reliable and Safe
- Canadians for Reliable and Safe
- Some transport-related links in webdirectory.com.
- Mass transit resources (USA).
- Energy section of the
World Resources Institute site.
- Residents Against Polluting Stacks
(RAPS) who oppose motorway exhaust stacks discharging huge amounts of
polluted air over nearby residents
- Discourage unsafe speeding
on local streets.
- Bicycle New South Wales.
- Bike Sydney.
- Critical Mass - a bicycle users' group who ride around inner suburbs on the last Friday evening of each month.
Marrickville Tunnel Action Group.
- Pedestrian Council of Australia.
- Railserve's links
to various pages about Australian passenger rail services.
- Australasian Bus and Coach - bus news.
- http://www.transporttextbook.com/ - public tranport analysis and discussion.
- Blackheath Highway Action Group.
- Blue Mountains Commuters and Transport Users Association.
- Save Our Buses - Mt Druitt and Surrounding Areas
- South Penrith Residents Action Group
- Liverpool Transport Taskforce Group
- Bankstown Transport Group
- TLC - Transport for the Local Community (Bankstown)
- Sydenham to Bankstown Alliance, an alliance of community groups concerned about overdevelopment and poor transport decisions in the Sydenham to Bankstown corridor
- Baulkham Hills Group
- South Penrith Residents Action Group
- Oatlands/North Parramatta Group
- Hills Transport Working Group, pressing for integrated transport solutions for North Western Sydney.
- Blue Mountains Sustainable Transport Alliance
- Hartley Highway Action Group
- Better Services for a Better State, organised by Unions NSW.
- The Bus It Challenge, pressing for better public transport services around Hobart.
- The Public Transition, following on from Bus It Challenge (above) but with a national focus.
- Perth Light Rail. A broad coalition of Perth's leading environmental, educational and industry organisations have come together to advance a light rail plan for Perth, as well as an overall improvement to Perth's public transport network.
- ACT Light Rail - campaigning for trams in Canberra.
They have opponents - see:
- Future Transport Tasmania, lobbying for better public transport and rail infrastructure in Tasmania.
- Sydney Alliance, forging the future of Sydney's common good. Includes a transport arm.
- Mount Druitt Commuters Improvement Group Inc.
- Pyrmont Action Group, concerned about local bus services
- Sydney's Transport Sketchbook.
- Unofficial comparison of Opal fares with paper tickets.
- Public Transport Not Traffic, Melbourne-based coalition who make their proposed East-West Link sound like our WestConnex.
- Sustainable Transport Options Planning opposing Beaches Link etc.
- Residents for A Better Light Rail, started by Wansey Road residents, pressing for changes to the CDB and South-East Light Rail.
- The Restore Inner West Line campaign - residents pressing for restoration of rail services on the inner west line to the pattern existing before 20 October 2013.
- Restore Our Rail, a new (May 2014) group of St George residents pressing for the October 2014 timetable to restore services to the levels existing until 20 October 2013 at Rockdale, Kogarah, Mortdale, Kingsgrove and Beverly Hills stations.
- Friends of Cabarita Park and Wharf who are pressing for increased ferry services to service Breakfast Point and Mortlake.
- Rail Revival Alliance, pressing for re-opening of some lines in rural Victoria.
- Transform Transport, the NSW Greens' campaign for world-class transport across NSW.
- Canada's Ecofiscal Commission, practical solutions for growing prosperity, including several reports on mitigating traffic congestion by road access pricing.
- The American Public Transportation Association
Also see http://www.ptua.org.au/links/.
Public policy-making organisations
The Sydney Morning Herald's 2010 inquiry
The Newcastle Herald's inquiry
The Sydney public transport information service
For people with special needs
Examples of public transport information
Possible innovations for public transport
- Netzplan - network schematics and passenger information systems.
Peak Oil pages
Travel demand management
Greening the private motor car
This list is for your convenience only. APTNSW is more interested in the future.